Friday, January 12, 2018

Rapt

1/11/18 Zoka Coffee
As other sketchers have discovered, by far the easiest victims to draw in a public place are the ones engrossed in their devices. One thing I’ve noticed is that some people keep one hand on a device even when they are socializing with other humans – live and in person – sitting across from them at a table, especially when there are more than two in the party. So while one person is talking and at least one other is listening, the other(s) will sneak a look at their phone and scroll a bit (certainly something on their Facebook feed is more engaging than the people at their table).

 













It seems rude to me. Regardless, I take advantage of their rapt attention to their devices by putting them in my sketchbook.


5 comments:

  1. I esp. like the sensitive drawing of the young woman with her cell phone. I agree, it seems so odd to have people at the table and no conversation is going on because they are all looking at their cell phones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who will check her phone openly whilst I'm talking to her - and answer a message. I know, I'm old, but I find this to be very rude. And she's old enough to know better. Maybe I'll start sketching next time she's talking to me . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Jan! Start sketching HER -- that'll make her think. ;-)

      - Tina

      Delete
  3. I've got to say it again...I love the ease with which you sketched her hair. I know without all these devices we would have a hard time finding models. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan -- messy hair is easier for me! ;-) And yes -- as a sketcher, I'm thankful for all the distracting devices.

      - Tina

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...