Sunday, May 15, 2016

Drizzly King Street Station

5/15/16 brush pen, inks, colored pencils, Zig marker
I was hoping the spectacular summer weather we had Friday at the Sculpture Park would hold out until this morning, when Urban Sketchers Seattle met at King Street Station. I’ve sketched inside the station at least a couple of times, but I wanted another crack at the outside, which I hadn’t sketched in nearly three years. Alas, the day dawned cool and drizzly with no hope of sunshine.

As a warm-up, I climbed the stairs to the station’s upper level to capture some of the amazing details all over the ceiling, on the walls and on the columns (below). The building has been so beautifully restored that you could close your eyes and turn in any direction, and when you opened your eyes again, you’d have something amazing to sketch.

I still had hopes for an outdoor view, though, so I pulled on my hood and walked across the street. Using a brush pen kept the sketch fast and loose, and sitting under trees kept my page mostly dry through the ongoing drizzle.

5/15/16 brush pen, inks
This weekend was Stephanie Bower’s “Good Bones” workshop, the same one I took a couple of years ago, so her students joined us today, including sketchers from Portland, Vancouver, B.C., and even as far as the Midwest. During the sketchbook sharing, it was impressive to see the results of Stephanie’s instruction and influence. Several sketchers I chatted with were ecstatic that they finally “got” perspective. I remembered fondly feeling the same way when I gave myself a “final exam” at the very same station two years ago.

Sharing sketches inside King St. Station


3 comments:

  1. Fun sketches and a really fun day. I just took Stephanie's class a couple months ago so it was interesting to go back and look for a different viewpoint. I also braved the outside - I stayed under cover though! :) I'm so glad I found this group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sketching at King Street Station -- it's probably one of the most interesting buildings in downtown Seattle. I'll look forward to seeing you at USk again, Terrie!

      - Tina

      Delete
  2. Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you today, but you did a great job on this anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...