Saturday, February 28, 2015

Like an Old Comb

2/28/15 various inks, F-C music nib pen, Caran d'Ache
Museum colored pencil, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
This type of evergreen, which is plentiful in these parts but which I don’t know the name of, is difficult for me to sketch because the usually dense branches form dark fir-y masses in the center that taper out to feathery ends. I practice often on the ugly, misshapen tree visible from our bedroom window; in fact, I just practiced this morning (see below and my post last October).

On my way home from running errands this afternoon, I spotted the tree at left. Its sparse branches made it look like a plastic comb that was missing most of its teeth. On the upside, it was much easier to sketch, since I could see each branch distinctly. (Every sketch has an upside, especially when there’s a clear blue sky behind it!)


2/28/15 Sailor zoom nib pen, watercolor

2 comments:

  1. Poor thing looks like a skeleton tree with so much missing. Good sketch of what was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most likely Deodar Cedar - or, no, maybe Atlas Cedar is a bit more sparse. Both are hugely abundant here and all over the freeways and the UW - everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...