Thursday, July 10, 2014

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church

7/10/14 Platinum Carbon, Diamine Grey and Chocolate Brown inks, watercolor, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

On my way to lunching with friends on Eastlake, I took a short detour into the Montlake neighborhood to sketch the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church. (I don’t find myself in that area often, so a few weeks ago when I was driving through and spotted it, I put the church on my ongoing sketching nemesis list to come back to later.)

Built in the early ‘60s, according to Wikipedia, the church was praised by Architecture/West magazine for its ingenuity in “adapting materials and techniques of the 20th Century to a church that follows early Greek Orthodox architectural forms.” I regret that I got the proportions wrong on the early Greek Orthodox form of the striking tower and its beautiful windows. Those seemingly simple lines and rounded shapes are annoyingly complicated to draw. But on a warm, sunny morning, a cool breeze on my neck, anticipating a nice lunch with old friends – who cares?

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job on this church that has so many angles...especially in that tower. Good job on the shadows too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...