Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A View from the Throne

4/22/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink, Sailor pen, Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook
Seated on the throne this morning, looking out the window at the steady rainfall, I started thinking about what I could sketch inside the house. I’m not enrolled in Danny Gregory’s Sketchbook Skool, but I’ve been looking through some of the participants’ homework uploaded to Flickr, and I know that ordinary household items are a common theme (going all the way back to Danny’s Everyday Matters). I also recalled an Urban Sketchers Flickr group weekly theme a year or so ago: “Sketch the bathroom.” Inspired by all of that, I turned my head in the opposite direction from the window and found a tightly angled view of the sink (our bathroom is very small).

(If you look closely at the end of the faucet, you’ll see my reflected self-portrait. This, too, was inspired – by Lapin’s book, Oldies but Goldies, in which his tiny self-portrait appears in the reflections of shiny chrome surfaces of the vintage cars he sketched.)

2 comments:

  1. Great sketch of the faucets...the shine is exceptionally good and I love the little sp!!! I do a scavenger hunt on WetCanvas and we sketch all kinds of things that you can find at home, including sinks and toilets. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Really fun sketch. Maybe I'll spend some time in the bathroom today.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...