Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Swift Victims (and Not All Gel Pens Are Created Equal)

1/14/14 Gel pens, Fabriano Studio hot press 140 lb. paper
Temperatures have been in the upper 40s and lower 50s the past few days – altogether tropical compared to the rest of the country. I was so excited about it that when I had 15 minutes before I had to leave for the next errand, I stopped at Starbucks for a quick mid-morning coffee and sketch – and got an outdoor table!

I guess my “victims” were as busy as I was – a woman, her baby and a friend left a minute after I got started (you can still see their ghosts). But right after they left, a woman stopped to make a phone call, so I pounced quickly. Gel ink – an inherently quick medium because it flows so smoothly, especially on Fabriano Studio hot press – was just what I needed.

After yesterday’s exploration of gel ink pens as a sketching medium, I dug more deeply into some drawers and found several different brands (OK, I admit, I have a really large stash of gel pens). The ones I tried yesterday, Zebra Sarasa, although my favorite for writing, don’t bleed as much as I had hoped. But after testing all the brands I owned, I found that Foray Gelio pens bleed like crazy when water is applied – score! I had picked them up at Office Depot for $12.99 for a set of 20 colors. Maybe the lower the quality and price of a gel pen, the more likely it is to run when wet. In any case, these Foray Gelio pens are a fast, easy way to add color that I can wash just as easily with a waterbrush. The only thing I don’t like is that they can leave tiny blobs of ink that are easy to smear before they dry.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way these gel pens bled for you...great colors. Sorry your first victims didn't stay too long, but they will remain ghostly on your paper. Nice job on this...you even got a few cars in the sketch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...