Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Avocado, Garlic, Blood Orange

1/7/14 Platinum Carbon ink, Van Gogh watercolors, Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook
Don’t worry – that’s not a recipe (I already promised you’d never see another recipe on my blog). As I learned in November during NaNoDrawMo, cold, rainy days are well-suited to staying home and sketching still lifes, which I am otherwise not very inclined to do.

The similar shapes of the avocado and blood orange on the countertop attracted me first. I needed a third object to fill out the composition, and when I spotted a garlic nearby, Shari Blaukopf’s sketch from a few months ago (which I had studied carefully at the time) immediately came to mind. I resisted the urge to go look at her sketch first before I began mine.

I overworked the avocado so badly that it’s not even fit for guacamole now (although I'm pleased with the way the color turned out). I’m somewhat happy with the blood orange, which has a weird, bumpy skin that was fun to paint. As for my garlic. . . let’s face it: I’m no Shari Blaukopf. But at least I didn’t overwork it.

2 comments:

  1. LOL Cloudy, rainy, cold days are making us both desperate for sketching opportunities. I think you nailed the shapes of the avocado and blood orange, and did a great job on the bumpy surfaces. The garlic came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,it's great!! LOVE the garlic! and from this view, nothing looks overworked. You just keep on using those watercolors boldly, cuz you've got that artistic eye!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...