Thursday, December 26, 2013

LeMay Car Museum

12/26/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Zig marker, Fabriano 140 lb. hot press paper
Several of my most-admired sketchers have lately taken to sketching old classic cars. In the forefront is Lapin, who just successfully crowdsourced publication of a collection of his classic car sketches. Others are Inma Serrano, Mike Daikubara and Nina Johansson. As you know, cars have long been one of my nemeses as far as sketch subjects go – all those smooth, reflective surfaces and curved yet not organic lines. But when it comes to old classics, I’m as much a sucker for cars as anyone is. I decided to jump on the bandwagon.

12/26/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Greg and I have long talked about visiting Tacoma’s LeMay Car Museum, so we finally made the trek down south. I had heard that it was a big place, but until you walk into the main showroom, it’s hard to imagine exactly how big it is. The museum is four stories high – nine acres “celebrating America’s love affair with the automobile” (according to the brochure).

First I took a quick walk-through of the four floors to scan all the cars (and ogled only a few). Then I settled on three that caught my eye (all convertibles, of course): a 1947 Lincoln (unfortunately, with its top up), a 1964 Porsche 356C and a 1957 Chevrolet Corvette “Fuelie.” Apparently the exhibit on the main floor is used for special collections, and showing right now are a bunch of lovely ‘Vettes.

12/26/13 Platinum Carbon ink, Zig markers, Fabriano 140 lb. hot press paper
We spent three hours sketching and photographing, but I could have easily stayed all day. As an indoor sketching location, it’s a dream come true: walls and corners to stand against with good views; plenty of benches if you prefer to sit; good lighting everywhere. The main showroom has the best unobstructed view, though. The other floors have support pillars that can get in the way.

Exterior of the LeMay Car Museum in Tacoma.
Main floor of the LeMay Car Museum with a special exhibit of Corvettes.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a really great indoor sketching location. I love that first car you sketched. I like the way you showed the rounded edges and the reflected light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity, particularly during winter. You're tougher than I am. I have a hard time sketching for more than an hour without a break. Love that Lincoln, even with its top up :-)

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...