Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Top Pot Doughnuts – Then and Now


1/15/13 Lamy cartridge ink, Zig marker, Stillman & Birn Gamma
The Seattle Times’ Pacific NW Sunday section had an interesting article about renovated buildings, including one that now houses Top Pot Doughnuts in the Wedgwood neighborhood. I try to avoid the temptation of donuts, so I don’t go there often, but the article made me recall that I had been there more than a year ago.

I flipped through a few sketchbooks from that period and found the pocket-sized Moleskine with two pages dated Oct. 24, 2011, only a month after I had started sketching, with sketches I had made at Top Pot. The Times article had included “then” and “now” photos of the renovated buildings. I thought it would be fun to do my own version, so I stopped for a sketch and coffee at Top Pot today (no donut).

It’s not exactly a renovation, but I do see the changes that come with the passage of time.




10/24/11 pencil, Pitt Artists Pen, Moleskine sketchbook

4 comments:

  1. Wow, look at the improvement in your drawing! The current sketch is a particularly good portrait.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! I wish I could progress faster, but it's encouraging to see the progress I've made so far.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing the progress from your earlier sketches. I love the shading you do with the pen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...