Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bryce Canyon



10/4/12 F-C Pitt Artist Pen, watercolor, Hand Book sketchbook
Of the three U.S. national parks I’ve hiked (I have many more to go on my growing bucket list), Bryce Canyon is by far my favorite. Its mysterious hoodoos, amphitheater shape and bright red limestone are practically intimate compared to Grand Canyon and even Zion.
The first day, we explored the rim, and I found myself too overwhelmed by the beauty and strangeness of the vistas to manage more than a few rough sketches (below). The second day we decided to hike down into the canyon by way of the popular Queen’s Garden Trail, where the hoodoos were close enough to touch, and every turn on the trail brought another new and amazing view of this extraordinary geology. By the time we finished the hike, I was disappointed to learn that it descended only 320 feet, because it sure felt like more. But I felt a strong sense of satisfaction sketching the Queen herself (above) looking down from her throne at her sweating subjects.
10/3/12 Copic Multiliner SP pen, Zig marker

3 comments:

  1. Ah, there you are. I wondered why I hadn't seen any sketches in Seattle USK pool so came here to see what you've been doing. Nice sketches of your trip! I like the pool and these canyon ones particularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. I never seem able to sketch as much as I'd like to while traveling, but it was fun to be inspired by a range of unusual sights -- from slot machines to hoodoos!

      Delete
  2. How did I miss so much here???? Love the sketches of the park landscapes...just wonderful. You are the second internet friend that I know who has been out there painting the hodoos lately...funny! Check out my friend Carole King under my links on my blog if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...